Wednesday 4 June 2014

ABSTRACT FOIL NAIL ART - PART 1 //

I just received my order from bornprettystore and this time round I decided to try nail foils! I've heard alot about these foils and they do have a pretty finish when done right. I purchased #18 and #23. #18 is a multi colored rainbow foil. #23 is a silver metallic holographic foil. However I didn't get the foil glue when I purchased this hence the different parts. So I'll update the post when I receive my foil glue around 2 weeks time and I'll try to do another set using the foil glue. 

In the meantime, here's my take on the nail foils without glue. (:


So here I've already prepared the foils by cutting them in small rectangles so it would be easier to place on the fingers and stick them on. You can measure accordingly to the size of your nails to get a good fit. At first I thought the foil was just a small square, but was surprised when I opened it and it was pretty long, 30cm x 10cm.

I don't have any photos of the process but I think it's pretty straightforward. 

Step 1: first paint one coat of the base color that you want and let it dry.

Step 2: paint the second coat and leave it until it is tacky. Because we aren't using any foil glue, we need the polish to still be tacky to stick the foils. If you wait till it dries the foils won't stick. (you can also try using a top coat to stick the foils, tho you still have to wait till it is tacky too.)

Step 3: once it is tacky, you can start to stick the foils. (Remember, it's dull side down, shiny side up.) I find that without using glue, no matter how you try, the foils won't fully stick to the whole nails. You can try to cover the whole nail if you want to but i doubt it'll work.

Step 4: So instead I made abstract nail art using the foils by dabbing the foils on the still tacky nails. I let the foils randomly stick on the tacky nails to create an abstract random pattern.

This is the result: 

 This was my first try:

This was after many many MANY tries:


I tried several times to get it right and fit the whole nail but no matter what I do it won't happen. So in part 2, I am gonna try to cover the whole nail and this time using the foil glue. I guess the only way to find out is to do trial and error. Lastly, using a top coat at the end after sticking the foils will make the foil a bit crinkly but it will seal the design in place.

With that said, enjoy trying out your abstract foil nail art! :D




No comments:

Post a Comment